As quickly as it came it appears that summer is just as rapidly leaving us, which has caught many homeowners off guard when it comes to prepping for the fall and winter months of the year. While we’re all trying to catch the last summer sunrays and host one last cookout before the grill goes into storage, the days are getting shorter and the temperatures are beginning to drop. Soon, it’ll be all we can do to catch ourselves up on the list of fall chores around the house.
One thing that behooves any homeowner to pay attention to during the fall months, is the condition of their roof—or, more specifically, the roof and all peripheral areas that might have an impact on its ability to keep our homes safe and sound during the inclement weather of the impending season. Is your roof ready for fall and winter?
The roof and gutter system
The first and best thing you can do for your roof and your home before the fall weather rings in is to have it comprehensively inspected by roofing contractors in Tupelo, MS. Not only will this ensure a seasoned, professional eye is giving your roof attention, it’ll also give you a direct line to someone who knows how to remedy any issues that might need attention.
There are a few glaring things that a roofing contractor will be looking for when they inspect your roof—each of these things can play a huge role in severe roof damage if left to deal with winter weather unchecked:
- Missing or dislodged shingles that could allow rain, snow and ice access to the inner sections of your roofing.
- Damaged or missing flashings that leave areas such as chimneys and ventilation ducts open to damage.
- Clogged gutters and downspouts that could cause water to back up and pool on your roof, leading to ice damming during colder temperatures.
Now, these are only the prominent, more severe instances that will require a professional’s attention—a comprehensive inspection is going to go into a lot more detail and yield a lot more information about the status of your roof and all that can be done to make sure it’s ready for the oncoming winter weather.
Peripheral duties and actions
Now aside from having roofing contractors in Tupelo, MS out to take a look at your roof itself, there are a few other things you should be doing to make sure your roof is going to stand up to whatever the impending seasons have to throw at it. Take a look at some of the extra duties concerned homeowners can undertake to give themselves peace of mind:
- Trim any trees that may have overhanging branches near your home. This will reduce the chances of a branch falling off and coming to rest on your roof or worse, an errant branch coming down to damage your roof during a violent winter storm.
- Make sure your gutters are fully flushed and fixed up so that they function perfectly. You can have this professionally done or do it yourself by inspecting your gutters and heading to your local hardware store for parts and patches.
- Inspect and insulate your attic, to catch any interior roofing problems that may contribute to issues that spring up during the winter months.
Remember, before you do anything to your roof, consult with roofing contractors in Tupelo, MS!